- 1 cup sourdough starter (fed and active)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sourdough starter, mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter or oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and flour to the bowl and stir until just combined. If desired, stir in the nuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the banana bread for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe yields a flavorful and moist banana bread with a slightly tangy and sour flavor from the sourdough starter. The texture is tender and slightly dense, with a slightly crusty top. If you’d like a lighter, fluffier texture, you can try using a mixture of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour or adding some baking powder to the recipe. Enjoy!