Sourdough naan is a delicious and flavorful variation of traditional Indian flatbread. The addition of sourdough starter to the dough adds a tangy, complex flavor that complements the other spices and seasonings used in the recipe. Here is an easy-to-follow recipe for making sourdough naan at home:
Ingredients: -1 cup (250ml) of sourdough starter (active and bubbly) -1 cup (250ml) of warm water -2 cups (250g) of all-purpose flour -1 tsp of sugar -1 tsp of salt -1/2 tsp of baking powder -1 tsp of vegetable oil -1 tsp of cumin seeds (optional) -1 tsp of chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sourdough starter and warm water and mix until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cumin seeds (if using) and mix well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix well until the dough comes together. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let it rest in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, divide it into 8-10 equal-sized balls.
- On a floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into a round, thin shape, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Place the rolled-out dough onto the skillet or griddle and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until it starts to puff up and develop brown spots.
- Once cooked, remove the naan from the skillet or griddle and brush it with vegetable oil. You can also sprinkle some chopped fresh cilantro on top of it, if desired.
- Repeat steps 6-8 with the remaining dough balls.
Your sourdough naan is now ready to be served! The complex flavor of the sourdough starter is well balanced with the seasonings and cumin seeds. You can serve it with your favorite curries or dips, or enjoy it as a tasty snack on its own.
Note: The resting time for the dough is dependent on the strength of your sourdough starter, it might be longer or shorter, keep an eye on it. Also, don’t hesitate to adjust the quantity of sugar, salt, or cumin seed to your preference.
Sourdough naan is a delicious and flavorful variation of traditional Indian flatbread that is easy to make at home. The recipe is versatile and you can adjust the seasonings and ingredients to suit your taste. Give it a try and enjoy the wonderful taste of sourdough naan.