Sourdough chocolate cake is a delicious and unique twist on a classic chocolate cake. The addition of sourdough starter to the recipe adds a depth of flavor and a slight tanginess that complements the rich chocolate perfectly. Here is a step-by-step recipe for making sourdough chocolate cake:
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Begin by mixing the sourdough starter and warm water together in a large bowl. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until it becomes bubbly and active.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the sourdough mixture and stir until well combined.
- Next, add the vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Gradually stir in the hot water until the batter is well combined and smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease an 8 inch round cake pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before removing it from the pan and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, it’s ready to be served. You can serve it as is, or with a dusting of powdered sugar or a chocolate ganache on top.
This recipe will yield a moist and flavorful sourdough chocolate cake that is perfect for any occasion. The addition of sourdough starter gives it a unique and complex flavor that complements the rich chocolate perfectly. And the chocolate chips inside bring a perfect texture and chocolate pockets throughout.