Sourdough Chocolate CakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups (448g) granulated sugar
1 cup (224g) sourdough discard
1/2 cup (55g) Dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 cup (120ml) boiling water
1 1/2 cups (200g) white cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Butter and flour a 13″ x 9″ cake pan or use pan spray. Line the pan with parchment paper long enough so that covers the bottom of the pan and hangs over two sides. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the cocoa into a small heat-proof bowl. Whisk the boiling water into the cocoa. Set aside to cool while preparing the other ingredients.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Combine the oil, eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar in a mixer bowl. Mix on medium speed to combine the ingredients, continue mixing for 2-3 minutes to emulsify the ingredients. Add the sourdough discard and mix to combine
- With the mixer running on low, add the flour and then add the cocoa mixture. Mix until completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Use the parchment paper to slide the cake out of the pan onto a cooling rack.
- Serve your favorite frosting or a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Cool completely before icing.