Similkameen Sourdough Starter
What You Will Need:
Glass jar (one quart)
Coffee filter or tight-weave cloth
Flour: For the Similkameen starter we use a combination of equal parts white, whole wheat, and rye flour. For the Rye starter use 100% Rye flour
Water that is free of chlorine and fluoride (room temperature)
1 packet of dehydrated Similkameen Sourdough Culture
Activating your sourdough starter
1. Add packet of starter to 2 Tbsp of flour and 2 Tbsp of room temperature water in a
quart-sized glass jar and stir thoroughly. Cover the jar with a coffee filter or
breathable material, secure with a rubber band, and culture the starter in a warm
place (70-80°F) for 12-24 hours.
2. After 12-24 hours feed the starter with an additional 2 Tbsp of flour and 2 Tbsp of
water. Stir thoroughly.
3. After another 12-24 hours feed the starter with an additional 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4
cup water. Stir thoroughly. Your starter should have the consistency of pancake
batter. Add flour or water to adjust as necessary.
4. After another 12-24 hours feed the starter with an additional 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2
cup water. Stir thoroughly.
5. After another 12-24 hours, discard all but 1/2 cup starter and then feed the starter
with 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour. Stir thoroughly. Repeat step 5 every 12-24
hours for an additional 1-3 days. Do this until the starter has the consistency of
pancake batter and is bubbling regularly within a few hours of feeding. That is when
your starter is activated and ready to use.
Storage on the counter – for frequent bakers.
Feed your starter once every 24 hours, discarding all but 1/2 cup of starter, and then
feed the starter with 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour.
We suggest 1/2 cup of starter, 1/2 cup of water, and 1/2 cup of flour to keep your
feedings smaller and your starter manageable.
Storage in the fridge – for weekly/monthly bakers
In the refrigerator, your starter goes into hibernation and you only need to feed it
every 5 to 7 days. Feed according to ‘on the counter’ instructions above.
Thank you for supporting a local Canadian business. We are here to help you on
your baking journey.