- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 cup milk (cow’s milk, almond milk, or any other milk of your choice)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sourdough starter, milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar (if using).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix, as this will result in tough pancakes.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick pan over medium heat. Once hot, lightly coat the griddle or pan with cooking spray or a little bit of butter.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop the batter onto the griddle or pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, or until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake and the edges begin to look set. Flip the pancake and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side, or until the pancake is cooked through and golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, lightly coating the griddle or pan with cooking spray or butter as needed.
- Serve the pancakes warm, with your choice of toppings such as butter, syrup, fruit, or powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Note: If you don’t have active sourdough starter, you can substitute with 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of milk, and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients.