Easy Sourdough Pizza CrustCourse: Dinner, LunchDifficulty: Easy
3 cups lukewarm water
2 cups sourdough starter, ripe
4 cups of white flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2 tsps of salt
4 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp dried oregano, optional but delicious
- Add the flour, salt, sourdough starter, 2 1/2 sups of water, oil and dried oregano to your mixing bowl. reserve 1/2 cup of water
- Mix to combine, adding the remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time if the dough looks dry. Knead for about 7 minutes using a stand mixer with its dough hook, until the dough wraps itself around the hook and cleans the sides of the bowl.
Place the dough in a lightly greased container, cover, and place in the fridge for 4 – 6 hours to slow ferment, you can even make it the day before to enhance the flavor with a longer bulk ferment.
- For three thin-crust pizzas: Divide the dough into 3 even balls and shape each into a flattened disk. Drizzle three 12″ round pizza pans with olive oil, and brush to coat the entire surfaces.
- Place the dough in the pans, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes. After this rest, gently press each piece of dough toward the edge of its pan. If it starts to shrink back, cover and let rest for an additional 15 minutes before continuing.
- For a thicker, large pizza: Oil two 14″ round pizza pans or two 18″ x 13″ half-sheet pans. Place the dough in the pans and press it out to the edges, again giving it a 15-minute rest before continuing if it starts to snap back.
- Cover the pan(s) and let the dough rise until it’s as thick as you like.
- Toward the end of the rise, preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Sauce and top each pizza as desired, but don’t add the cheese yet. Bake thin-crust pizzas for 5 minutes before removing from the oven and adding cheese. For thick-crust pizza, bake for 10 minutes before removing from the oven and adding cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes more, until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. enjoy!
- Made these last night with a home-made roasted garlic tomato sauce and fresh out of the garden jalapeños.