A slightly sweet, perfectly moist, cast iron, sourdough cornbread recipe with a a few unconventional ingredients that take it next level!
Cast iron, fried onion, jalapeño, sourdough, corn breadCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
Pure Vanilla Extract. Will enhance and add depth to the natural corn flavor.
Coconut oil. Brings out a nutty flavor in the cornmeal.
8 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. coconut oil
2 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup active fed sourdough starter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup medium grind cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 cup of 2% or whole milk
2 jalapeños-1 chopped fine and one sliced into rings
1 thinly sliced, medium, fried or caramelized sweet onion allowed to cool
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. place a large cast iron pan in oven with a ¼ cup of canola or other neutral oil in the pan.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and coconut oil over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the melted butter mixture; whisk well. Add the sourdough starter and mix again.
- Add the flour and cornmeal to a separate bowl. Mix the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour/cornmeal mixture to the wet ingredients using a wooden spoon to incorporate.
- Slowly pour in the milk until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Gently mix in your 1 chopped jalapeño and pre-fried/caramelized onion.
- When oven is pre-heated to 375 F , remove cast iron pan from oven and pour in your cornbread batter.
- Quickly top batter with sliced jalapeños.
- Place cast iron pan full of cornbread batter back in the oven, and bake on the center rack for 25-28 minutes; the top should be golden brown when ready.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
- This cornbread can be made a day in advance. Once completely cool, cover in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature. Serve as is, or reheat wrapped in foil at 250 F until warm.
- Pairs well with black bean chili, or a hearty soup/stew.